Welcome to the website! Hopefully you find it informative, instructional and healing!

Mariners Church seems to have lost their identity as a nurturing local congregation and appears to be changing into a media brand, all the while neglecting its attendees. It wasn't that long ago that the whole weekend volunteer team became disillusioned and walked off. They've had close to a dozen staff leave the preschool over toxic leadership (allegedly). Elders and long term volunteers are leaving. Long standing bible studies and communities of people were kicked off campus. Too many good men and women are getting cancelled, silenced and pushed out of the congregation. This megachurch has become a mega bummer for many people. In its wake, Mariners Church has broken communities of believers and damaged hearts strewn all over the place. Has their pride overwhelmed their ability to love their church family well?

This site is for you to share your voice! You don't have to feel run over by Mariners anymore. If you have experienced behavior that doesn't fall in line with Matt 22:37-40, you are invited to share your story here. Many know how damaging and hurtful this unkind, toxic and abusive behavior can be. Tell Your Story! People Do Care About You!

If you want to see our church abuse resource page CLICK HERE

Worship Night (7/2022) - Stuck on a Sandbar! Part #8

Posts must be approved before they go public however feel free to be candid about your experience. Your opinions while not verified are valid if it is your experience. We reserve the right to not approve a post for any reason. If you use curse words we will edit those out but still may post your topic.

You may use the Contact Us page below if you want to reach out. If you do not want your post to go live then mention it in your post and it will be kept for internal purposes. However, put your contact information in, so further contact can be made if necessary. It will only be used for internal purposes.

You are not allowed to register in order to keep information private. You may choose to mention your name and other personal data in your post if you desire. As well you can post as many times as you want, however you can only post once per topic that you created.

Posts cannot be deleted but by the administrator.
Roger Roger

Worship Night (7/2022) - Stuck on a Sandbar! Part #8

Post by Roger Roger »

How do you screw up a worship event with Matt Redman? Yes, friggin, Matt Redman! I didn't think it was possible, but Mariners did just that! The whole event was mismanaged, did not go off as billed and kept those who wanted to worship the true God in haven distracted/delayed from doing so. By the end of the night, Matt had only played 4 or 5 songs and we were left asking where did the worship night go?

To start, the night began with less than a two hundred people showing up for the start of the event in a room that sits at least 2,500 people. Shame on Mariners for:

1. Not promoting this event well and getting people in their seats for the start of the event
2. For not teaching the importance of worship and making a real/earnest call to worship God
3. For not having a church that takes worship seriously and sincerely. They dishonor God in their luke warm hearts and
worship
4. For staff not showing up themselves to worship with and minister to our church family.
5. Frankly, for treating this as a job, entertainment and not as a calling from God.

Matt, then played a couple of songs then he and the whole house was stopped from worshipping God so we could have a African born pastor encourage us to do an African dance and sing in a foreign language. We were then asked to suffer through prayers of other foreign language speakers as they prayed for Ukraine in their own language. I am guessing all this went on for at least 45 minutes. They did so without telling us what they prayed so we were asked to listen to these foreign language prayers without any interpretation or understanding of their meaning. My heart ached to worship the Holy Spirit yet I politely waited.

This service was not in good order nor did the staff show an understanding of how to handle good order in God's house. Praying in a foreign language should have quickly triggered 1Corinthians 14 instructions for worship and managing a service when foreign tongues are spoken, but the staff just missed it? Why the incompetence? I am not confusing prayer in a foreign language with speaking in spirit filled tongues, but the application of the edifying the body or building up of the church is the same and is the applicable biblical model. I'll end this with the scripture that describes this.

1 Corinthians 14:26, 40, Good Order in Worship

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.
40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

Followers of Jesus, disciples, seekers… Please, heed this warning and take this very seriously! Mariners stumbles all the time with the most basic of understanding of God's word. Their application of God's way is not true; it's not fully aligned with God's word and as such will not serve you well in becoming a true follower of Christ. Their instruction is not complete and does not lead you to walking powerfully in the Holy Spirit. And most importantly, fully becoming who God intended you to become… a fully equipped disciple of Christ.

I know what I have said sounds extreme or maybe even vengeful. Mariners might even accuse me of malice or retaliation, but that only would show their self-centered hearts. I don't say these things to hurt them, but rather to guard and encourage you; the unsuspecting, vulnerable seeker of God. My hope is to save you the pain and suffering my friends have experienced there and to encourage you on your journey of developing a lifelong love affair with God.

If you still are not sure about this message, I encourage you to test it with God's word. Read 1 Corinthians 12, 13 and 14. If you have been going to Mariners for 6 months, no, let's give them a break… a year, do you have any understanding of or have you been taught well the meaning of these chapters? Can you say that you understand them deeply or have even been given the chance to discover their meaning and application in your life? If you haven't then I may be right. Gifts and fruits of the Spirit, what are yours?

If you have experienced difficulties at Mariners Church or any other church and feel that you were treated improperly or unbiblically, this site has a great amount of helpful information on the resource page. Stop by!

1 Corinthians 14, Intelligibility in Worship

14 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. 2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. 3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer,[d] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.
18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20 Brothers and sisters, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.